kiwi conjunction

Thursday, July 19, 2007

On leaving and other half-realized occurrences

I'm leaving with Les in less than 11 days, yet even with the walls mostly bare and the furniture half gone, the sheer fact of the move, let alone what it means, still hasn't totally hit me. It's exciting, and I'm damn well ready for a change and the challenge, but the completeness of the move itself -- that I'll likely only be back for Christmas, and that in two years my parents won't even live in California anymore, that Les and I will officially become residents of Indiana, replete with driver's licenses and new plates -- I still can't wrap my head around it yet, mentally or emotionally.

How about something I can grasp then:
For the past year or so, all of my favorite new albums have been by British bands. There's no reason in particular for my Anglophilia, other than that they rock, and that the solidity of the albums themselves, from the first few bars to the bonus tracks, have resulted in lengthy stays in the van's CD player. The latest winner: the album "Our Earthly Pleasures" by Maximo Park.

Here's a triumphantly kickass playlist for you from those relatively recent albums, in no particular order:

"Girls Who Play Guitars" - Maximo Park
"Naive" - the Kooks
"505" - Arctic Monkeys
"Books in Boxes" - Maximo Park
"Jackie Big Tits" - the Kooks
"Munich" - Editors
"She Moves in Her Own Way" - the Kooks
"Skip to the End" - the Futureheads
"Your Urge" - Maximo Park
"Parisian Skies" - Maximo Park
"Yes/No" - the Futureheads
"Do Me A Favour" - Arctic Monkeys
"See the World" - the Kooks

and "A Fortnight's Time" by Maximo Park which features the awesome chorus:

Would you like to go on a date with me?
And, I know, it's old-fashioned to say so.
Five times five equals twenty-five.
Don't you know your times tables by now?
Oh-woh,
Don't you know?

----

and for those of you interested, I've been (ever so slowly for the past few weeks) compiling a photo journal of our trip to London that's on our new blog: http://thebohmans.blogspot.com
where my posts will be from now on (I just didn't want to mess up the nice linear quality it has going by sticking a rambling, early morning update in its textual abdomen).

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home