so my musical world has been dominated by two bands over the past week or so: the futureheads and the weakerthans.
the futureheads offer melodic gifts and repetitive lyrics that get stuck in my head (much to my enjoyment), such as the wonderful crescendo at the end of "danger of the water": danger, danger, water, water, danger, danger, water, water... my other favorites from the album include "le garage" and "meantime"
the weakerthans, with their slow acoustic builds, are a lyrical blessing:
from "My Favorite Chords"
They're tearing up streets again,
They're building a new hotel,
The mayor is out killing kids
To keep taxes down.
And me and my anger sit,
Folding a paper bird,
Letting the curtains turn
To beating wings.
Wish I had a socket set
To dismantle this morning,
Just one pair of clean socks,
And a photo of you.
When you get off work tonight,
Meet me at the construction site,
And we'll write some notes to take
To the heavy machines,
Like: "We hope they treat you well",
"Hope you don't work to hard",
"We hope you get to be
Happy sometimes"...
Hey I found the safest place
To keep all our tenderness,
Keep all those bad ideas,
Keep all our hope,
It's here in the smallest bones,
The feet and the inner ear;
It's such an enormous thing,
To walk and to listen.
or from "Everything Must Go"
Garage sale Saturday, I need to pay
My heart's outstanding bills:
A cracked up compass and a pocket watch,
Some plastic daffodils,
Cutlery and coffee cups I stole
From all-night restaurants,
A sense of wonder only slightly used,
A year or two to haunt you in the dark...
Cordless razor that my father bought
When I turned seventeen,
A puke green sofa and the outline to
A complicated dream of dignity.
For I laughed too loud and too long,
O'er a place where awkward belongs.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home